Cut the Crayfish in half and clean. Season flesh with salt and pepper, then place in a bamboo steamer ready for steaming. Steam the Crayfish for 5 to 7 minutes over a wok of gently boiling salted water.
How long does crayfish take to cook?
To boil: Keep the cray in salted boiling water for about 10-12 minutes or until their shells turn a bright orange colour. Put in cold water immediately afterwards to arrest the cooking process.
How long do crayfish have to boil?
Bring to a boil and cook the crawfish for 15 minutes. Turn the heat off and allow the crawfish to simmer in the liquid for an additional 15 minutes. Remove the crawfish and serve with the potatoes and corn.
How long boil crayfish Australia?
Crayfish cooking times
- To cook crayfish, bring a large saucepan or stock pot of salted water to the boil. …
- Under 600g, boil for 10 minutes.
- 600g – 800g, boil for 12 minutes.
- 800g – 1kg, boil for 14 minutes.
- 1kg – 1.5kg, boil for 16 minutes.
- 1.5kg – 2kg, boil for 18 minutes.
- 3kg + over, boil for 25 minutes.
How do you know when a crayfish is cooked?
How to Tell when your Crayfish is Cooked:
- Do not remove the Cray from the pot before the shell has turned bright red.
- The Cray is properly done when an antennae comes off easily when pulled gently.
- The cooked Cray meat will be firm and white in colour.
What’s the best way to cook crayfish?
- Put a large pot of hot water on the boil.
- Add lots of salt. …
- Once the water is boiling, slip those sleepy Crays in and put the lid on. …
- Once the water is back boiling again, start your timer. …
- After 7-8 mins at the boil, your Crays are cooked.
How can you tell if crawfish is bad?
Never eat crawfish meat that is mealy, mushy, easily tears apart or has an off color or flavor. These conditions indicate that the crawfish was dead prior to cooking. Crawfish meat will sometimes darken or turn “blue” when cooked in etouffee or stews. There is really nothing wrong with the meat.
Can you put crawfish in the oven?
Place crawfish in large metal roasting pan and carefully pour hot salt mixture over top. Return to oven and roast for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crawfish shells are bright red. Roasting time will vary depending on size of crawfish.