Unless they have been shucked and frozen, mussels should be alive when you buy and cook them. If the shell is tightly closed, it is still alive. If the shell is slightly open, it should close promptly when tapped.
Can I cook mussels if they are open?
Even though some mussels might appear to be badly damaged, it’s always worth cooking them as they could still open. If they do open, this means they’re still safe to eat (and just as tasty) as their better looking chums!
Why you shouldn’t cook open mussels?
And, most importantly, any mussel that isn’t closed—or doesn’t close when you give it a good tap with your fingernail—needs to be thrown out. An open mussel is a dead mussel, and one dead mussel will ruin a whole pot of them.
How open is too open for mussels?
The mussels should be tightly closed. Discard any mussels with cracked shells. If you see a mussel that is open, tap it gently against the counter; in a live mussel, this will trigger a reaction to close its shell. If the mussel doesn’t close, it has died and should be discarded.
How can you tell if mussels are bad?
Buy mussels that look and smell fresh, with closed shells.
Press together the shells of any that are open. If the shell doesn’t close, the mussel is dead and should be discarded (also toss any with broken shells).
What happens if you eat a dead mussel?
Earing dead mussels can be dangerous to your health. Mussels are a shellfish that contain omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin B-12. … The meat of dead mussels deteriorates, increasing your risk of microorganism contamination, food poisoning, infectious disease and other health problems.
What happens if you eat bad mussels?
After eating contaminated clams or mussels, you will most likely experience nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. These symptoms will be followed soon after by strange sensations that may include numbness or tingling in your mouth, headache, dizziness, and hot and cold temperature reversal.
Are frozen open mussels safe to eat?
NOTE: Frozen mussels may open in transit…they are perfectly safe to thaw, prepare, and eat.
Can you get food poisoning from mussels?
If you collect bivalve molluscs (oyster, razor clams, cockles, mussels) from the wild and eat them raw, there is a reasonable chance you will poison yourself. The list of possible toxic agents is long and worrying. Bacteria, such as E coli, are almost always present at some level in any bivalve.
When should you throw away mussels?
Unless they have been shucked and frozen, mussels should be alive when you buy and cook them. If the shell is tightly closed, it is still alive. If the shell is slightly open, it should close promptly when tapped. If the shell is open and does not close when tapped, throw it out.